Today’s article is written by one of our friends, Haziq, who is the founder of GET UP Motivation. He had a wakeup call just before his N-Levels and decided to turn his life around. Within the next 3 years, he became the poster boy scholar in Temasek Polytechnic and became a licensed pilot. His journey has led him to be interviewed by Kiss 92FM and he was also invited to various schools to inspire others to achieve their goals. We are lucky to have him show us how he planned and achieved his goal of becoming a licensed pilot and scholar.
What defines “Success”? The dictionary defines it as:
“Success; noun: the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.”
This definition defers from person to person. It can be anything from earning large sums of money or landing your dream job. Every individual has their own definition of success.
So, what is YOUR definition of success?
What is your Game Plan?
“If You Fail to Plan, You Plan to Fail”. – Benjamin Franklin
“I do not know what to do with my life”. Sound familiar? You must have at heard this said at least once by your peers, it could even be you! Often, it is the lack of clarity and direction for their futures that leads to disappointment and frustration. That is why YOU need to plan your life out!
Case Study – Harvard MBA Graduates
Courtesy of biznowse.com
There was a study done on Harvard MBA Graduates (1979) where each of them was asked if they had written goals for their future and made plans to accomplish them. Their salaries were then compared after ten years.
What they found was:
The 13% of the class who had goals, but did not write them down was earning twice the amount of the 84% who had no goals.
The 3% who had written goals were earning, on average, ten times as much as the other 97% of the class combined!
Many people in all fields (sport, businesses, academics etc.) set their own respective goals as it gives them the long-term vision and short-term motivation. You should do the same as it allows you to focus on the acquisition of knowledge and helps you to organize your time and your resources so that you can make the very most out of your life.
Let’s Plan a Goal Setting Chart
This is a simple Goal Setting Chart which I created as a reference. This is the similar template I used for my own personal planning.
Let’s get started:
1. Decide. Think of something you would want to achieve – Your definition of Success; what is your ULTIMATE GOAL(S)?
2. Write down the specific details – the more specific you are, the clearer the vision would be.
3. Break down your main goal into smaller goals – see it as stepping stones you have to
achieve over the period of time. With every small goal achieved, you are one step closer to your ultimate goal(s).
4. Create a timeline and a deadline – This creates the “drive” in you to persevere on and also creates a sense of urgency. Many people do not achieve their life goals as they
procrastinate; telling themselves that they can do it another day. Over time, they would still be in the same place as before, regretting not taking that first step.
5. Remind yourself – Constantly remind yourself of the plan you are working on and the goal(s) that you are working towards. It would help keep you on track. I suggest pasting your Goal Setting Chart on your bedroom door, as you would see it daily whenever you enter or leave your bedroom.
6. Take your first step – The first step is always the hardest. However, if you do not take that first step, you would not be moving forward. Taking that first step also reduces your chances in procrastinating.
7. Celebrate and keep going – There is always a time to work and play. Have a small
celebration whenever you accomplish the smaller goals in your plan. This helps boost the drive in you as you are one step closer to your ultimate goal(s).
I hope that this will help you in creating a clearer plan for your future.
I would like to thank Nigel and Brandon for giving me this opportunity for this guest post on CapitalistLAD.
Please feel free to like “GET UP MOTIVATION” Facebook page and Instagram account.
Get Up Motivation
“We all have the same 24-hours. Let’s make the most out of it.”
Haziq graduated from Aviation Management & Services from Temasek
Polytechnic and is the founder of a non- profit Motivational Organisation, GET UP Motivation. Haziq is an aspiring Pilot and he believes that everyone should achieve
their dreams. Haziq is passionate in motivating young teenagers and hopes to bring them closer to their goals.